|Photo by Adrian!|
Friends, this winter has been rough by Chicago standards and most everyone is coming down with some serious cabin fever. Adrian and I have been battling against the very tempting forces of Hulu Plus and trying to develop some hobbies instead of just vegging out on the couch. Adrian's been cooking and baking while I've been writing and photographing. On Sunday, Adrian wanted to learn about using a DSLR camera, so we set up a shot and practiced with different manual settings on the camera. I loved the photo he got and asked if he wouldn't mind me sharing it on the blog. In his words, this picture is "so Mexican." So true, friend. So true. But what can we do? We're a Mexican family.
So happy Friday! I hope your weekend is filled with confetti and piñatas and drinking responsibly. My friend's having what is sure to be a pretty epic 30th birthday party. She's rented a school bus and we'll be driving around the city and stopping in a few bars. So much better than trying to find parking in this snow-covered city!
Ok before you go out for the weekend, here's some reading for your Friday afternoon:
- This video of a baby girl laughing in the rain is the greatest video. Ever. Ever. I melt into a puddle of joy every time I watch it. Seriously, do yourself a favor and start your weekend right. (Found via Alicia at Jaybird Blog)
- Osheta Moore's Oh, Honey! Come here, I think your privilege is showing. A couple weeks old, but I just came across it and it is a powerful piece on the importance of discussing race, racism, privilege, diversity and reconciliation on our blogs because we need this conversation.
- James Poniewozik's piece on Coca Cola's "It's Beautiful" Superbowl Ad because America is a nation of so many languages and cultures. I loved his explanation of how we come from other places and, yes, we speak English but we speak other languages as well. Adrian and I both speak English and Spanish. English is the language of our "how was your day" and "pass me the salt" but Spanish is the language of our jokes, of our texted love notes, of our nicknames. And that is what Coke understood when they made that ad.
- Betsy's Pause/Reset post on her thinking behind taking a month-long break from blogging. There is a great conversation on the state of blogging going on in the comment section.
- Lastly, Alicia's Banish overwhelm and just. get. through. this post has some great tips on how to stop being so overwhelmed. Again, lots of great conversation happening in the comment section, too!
Lots of great reading there! I'd love to hear your thoughts. Enjoy your weekend!